Comfy comfy pants

So ... there are some evenings, I get home, go to get changed out of my work clothes (I wear cotton drill, high-vis. It's a bit feral, but it's easy to wear, and rather comfy actually) and struggle to convince myself that I should put on clothes rather than going straight for pyjamas.

Well that struggle is now over. Behold my comfy pants (that aren't pyjamas)!

The pattern for these is the Hudson Pants, courtesy of True Bias Patterns. I've posted about these pants over at the Monthly Stitch for week two of Indie Pattern Month - for the them of New to Me.

These pants have been on my 'to sew' list since I first bought the pattern in November 2014 (pretty sure it was in a pdf pattern bundle - googling patterns with the same date, it was a Perfect Pattern Parcel). So only 2 and a half years wait!  Back then, most of my pdf patterns were sourced via bundles, such as the Perfect Pattern Parcel, and the Bundle Up Patterns. They were a cost effective way of building up a selection patterns that could be used for staples, and putting together a wardrobe. Neither have run for a while, but I'm finding that One Thimble (affiliate link) has been fulfilling that role lately.

I was after a pair of pants that would be fine to wear of an evening, nice a comfortable, but still stylish enough to wear out of the house without worrying about being out in public in 'trackie daks'.

But realistically, we all know I'm going to be wearing them while I'm busy falling asleep on the lounge watching the latest BBC crime or period drama (seriously, I love watching Midsomer Murders, but CANNOT stay awake for a whole episode).

I found the fabric in the clearance section of Spotlight not too soon after buying the pattern, so it's been sitting there for a while - waiting to become a pair of pants, managing not be reassigned (pretty remarkable for my stash). It's a stable cotton knit, that I'm guessing has some lycra in it (based on the stretch & recovery). The weave has a bit of a waffle/diamond to it (in my memory it was French Terry, but turns out it isn't). It has plenty of stretch - horizontal, as well as vertical. In fact, the vertical stretch is so good, that it wasn't until I finished cutting out the pants, and went to refold the fabric, that I found the selvedge, and realised I'd cut the pieces out across the grainline.  There's so much stretch though, that you can't tell which way is which by stretching the fabric, so no problems with the fit of these pants.


I reversed the fabric at the pocket binding and cuffs as an extra feature. I've been looking at versions with fully colour blocked pocket binding, waistband and cuffs, but I'm not quite ready for that yet.

The pattern is a pretty quick sew. I cut the pieces of an afternoon, and sewed up the pants that night. Although, there is one step I am yet to complete. Can you see what it is?

Yep - there are button holes there ready, but no drawstring yet. I didn't have any stashed away, and wasn't willing to go with ribbon instead (ribbon doesn't fit with 'leisure wear'), but couldn't wait to wear them. They stay up nicely without the drawstring. But I've added it to my list for the next time I'm at the fabric store.

So how do I rate the pattern? Well they definitely fit the bill. Comfy pants that I can wear out of the house.

The pockets are big enough to fit a phone or whatever in, and sit nice and neatly when my hands aren't in them.

I cut out a straight size 10, based on my hip size. They are little long, but I suspected they would be. My theory was better to have a little extra fabric than cold ankles.

The pattern is easily sewn up (especially if you've already made a pair of pants). The instructions are written for a sewing machine (rather than serger/overlocker), but include notes on using a serger instead.

I went 'off pattern' on a couple of occasions. Once, because I didn't read the instructions properly. But I also joined my elastic into a loop and inserted it in the waistband casing as I attached it to the pants. This meant that I could serge all the way around the waistband in one go, rather than leaving a hole, threading the elastic, then sewing it up.

The only topstitching on the pattern is on the waistband, but you could easily add it at the pockets and bottom cuffs. For my next pair (oh yes, I NEED to have another pair), I will look into topstitching the waistband with stretch thread. The 'lightning' stitch just doesn't look 'neat' enough for me. Although I am pleased I managed to get the spread of the waistband rather even along the length of the elastic.

I haven't quite figured out which shoes work best with them. These were the second pick today. I think I may need to just cut my losses, and pair them with some sneakers (although, I think they do look best with my Ugg Boots).

Now that I've spent all this time talking about my pants, did you see my top? It's the other half of my comfy clothes combo.

It's my wearable muslin of Everything Your Mama Made and More's Piko Top (affiliate links).  And it certainly is comfy.  The sleeves are a little tight (partly optimistic measuring, partly fabric with limited stretch). And the neckline is just hemmed (and nearly had me in tears), which is not my favourite technique for a neckline. It's functional for around the house (and under a jacket), and has given me enough information to adjust the pattern for another item in my comfy evening wardrobe.

To finish up, one more photo. This one taken by Miss 6. She's still struggling with the camera, but is keen to help out. I can see this being useful once she learns how to close one eye to look through the viewfinder, so happy for her to keep having a go.


Popular Posts