It was difficult trying to choose what to make - there are so many patterns to choose from (including patterns for children, women and accessories).
I stepped a little out of my comfort zone for the tour, and signed up to sew a jumpsuit. I'd been looking at the trend of jumpsuits over the last year or so, but hadn't been game enough to try one out. I wasn't sure how well this style of garment would suit my body shape (a definite pear). And so, I was a little nervous about this sew - if I stuffed up my fabric choice or sizing it had the potential to go horribly wrong.
But it was worth it. The Henrike Jumpsuit (pattern was provided for the tour by Zierstoff). I'm so thrilled with the finished product. The fit is great, and it doesn't make me look all short and stumpy.
I must admit that I was nervous about starting this project. I hadn't sewn any Zierstoff patterns before, and I'm often concerned about new things. Looking at the patterns was a little daunting at first - but when I actually paid attention, it all made sense. There are pattern files for A4 and for letter paper (as an A4 user, I always find that a nice touch), and the pieces are tiled together with no trim (the edges butting up against one another). There's a couple of files to help you check your printer settings, and I just had to make sure my paper was in straight. It was a lot quicker taping up the pattern without having to trim the pieces.
Based on my measurement I fell into a size 38 for my bust measurement, something a lot smaller for my height - I ended up settling on a 170 for length. The pattern includes a measurement for back of the neck to waist, and there are size charts on the website. The first run was a toile (muslin) in light interlock to check the fit. The pants section was really comfy (and a little long), and the bodice was a little short, so I adjusted the top half to a straight size 38 for the final version. Taking the time to check out the pattern before cutting into your good fabric can save a lot of heartache (and wedgies).
The pattern stipulates a drapey knit fabric with good stretch. After sewing up my version in interlock I would add a recommendation of a knit with a decent amount (at least 30% or so) of vertical stretch. Added to my own requirements in fabric was a print that I would wear, was darker in colour, and would help to elongate my body. I ended up with a DTY Jersey (that's what was on the tag- I'd describe it as a crepe jersey) that contained spandex. I decided combination of florals and lines was a good bet.
The pattern comes together really quickly. It was lots of fun working in knits as most of the recent sews for myself have been in woven. Most of the jumpsuit was sewn up on the overlocker, which helps to speed things along. The instructions are clearly written, with pictures for each step. There is a good amount of information on how to construct the garment (not too much, not too little).
I ended up overlapping the bodice a little more than indicated in the pattern, to get a bit more coverage. And when I've worn it, I use a small piece of Hollywood Tape (I'm sure it's just double sided tape in a special box) to make sure I don't need to worry about coming adrift (I do this with all my wrap tops). Instructions on adjusting that fit are included in the pattern.
The pattern uses elastic at the top and bottom of the waistband. I find this helps the garment to keep its structure, and avoids it stretching out over the day.
The critical test for a jumpsuit is "Can you go to the toilet easily?" and the answer is "yes". The cross over bodice allows you to pull it off your shoulders to take the jumpsuit off (and put it back on again). This is another reason a degree of vertical stretch is useful, as the band is cut along the grain (vertically), so not much stretch could lead to a bit of shoulder wriggling if you're not careful. I would recommend having a go at taking the bodice off over your hips before attaching to the pants.
All up I am thrilled with the pattern, and with my new jumpsuit. I don't know when I have ever had so many compliments about something I've made or worn. When I wore it out to church, there was a chorus of "Did you make that"s and "It looks great"s.
There's also a children's version of the pattern. It's super cute. And I think the child sizes lend themselves well to using contrast fabric for the neck and waist bands.
Well, thanks for reading through all my thoughts on this pattern (turns out there were quite a few). Don't forget to check out the other stops on the blog tour (there's a list below), and don't forget to use the code "MahlicaDesigns30" for 30% off Zierstoff Sewing Patterns during April 2017. There is a large range of patterns, for kids, women and accessories
Check out the other stops on the blog tour (links will not be live until tour date)
Monday April 10- Anne-Mari Sews, Inspinration, Tenille’s Thread, Sew Cucio, Embrace Everyday
Tuesday April 11- Musings of A Seamstress, mahlicadesigns, Anna's Heirloom Boutique, Ronda B Handmade, FABulous Home Sewn
Wednesday April 12- Thread and Scissors, Kaleidothought, Idle Sunshine, mahlicadesigns
Thursday April 13- Very Blissful, Sew A Piece of Joy, Zowie Zo, Nina Makes, Thread and Scissors.
Friday April 14- Tales of a Tester; Anne-Mari Sews; Bless, by Tone; Life Sew Savory; Needles to Say, Adventures with Bubba and Bug,
Saturday April 15- Sprouting Jube Jube, Musings of A Seamstress, Stitches by Laura; Tea, Dust and Stitches, Anna's Heirloom Boutique, Ronda B Handmade, Glitter in my Coffee
*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a pattern after following one of the links I am paid a small commission at no cost to you.
The Henrike pattern was supplied for the purpose of this blog post.
The opinions expressed in this blog post, and rockin' jumpsuit are all my own.