Hipster Teddy Glasses

Here is a quick tutorial I've put together on making a pair of glasses for a Hipster Teddy out of woven rather than felt.



Check out my post on The Monthly Stitch for all the details on the bears I made for my son and daughter.


My daughters' bear had gone through 2 pairs of felt glasses before it was more than 12 hours old. I actually tore the first pair myself while sewing it up, so tried a different felt I had in my stash, hoping that would help. But no luck, so I decided to make a sturdier pair out of woven fabric.

The idea for construction came from the Taco Applique Shirt I made around this time last year. The glasses are two pieces of woven fabric stuck together with heat and bond, and a little stitching to help secure them together.

First I traced the glasses pattern onto freezer paper, cut them out, and ironed the shape on to the fabric. Based on the positioning of previous pairs, I actually shortened the bridge of the glasses a little, so they would fit a little better on the bear's head.


Then I ironed on a piece of Heat and Bond to the back.


Removed the paper backing.


Folded the fabric in half, and ironed the two layers together.


Then I carefully cut out the glasses. I used a rotary cutter where possible, and small, sharp, pointed scissors.




Finally, I stitched the two layers together. Ideally I would have liked to have done two rows of stitching. But I had a girl desperate to have her bear back, and it was tricky enough getting the feed dogs to pull the fabric through with just one row (you can see a few wonky stitches there)



Once the glasses were made, I hand sewed them onto the bear, following the existing line of stitching.

And handed the bear back to a happy owner.

Don't forget to check out my post over at the Monthly Stitch. And if you're after a copy of the pattern, it can be found at Swoodson Says.



Comments

Popular Posts