I've been making Christmas presents. Time constraints have meant that the needles involved have been the sewing kind, rather than the knitting, but I was so pleased with the results I just had to share.
For giftee #1, a four (and a half) year old girl we have a doll with matching sleeping bag.
The doll pattern is from Gingermelon Dolls. I have to say that I LOVED the pattern. It was really well written, and a lot easier to follow than I anticipated. The main problem I encountered was that I only had 'Christmas-coloured' felt (red, green and white), so there was a little difficulty finding co-ordinating fabrics. I'm sure I'll be off to track down some different coloured felt to make a couple more of these in the future.
The matching sleeping bag was made up from looking at these and these. The base is 'quilted' - I sandwiched some polar fleece and stitched a couple of stripes along the length. The fabric on the top of the pillow is a little bigger than on the bottom, and there is a pleat where the top sheet is attached at the bottom. The whole thing is held together with bias tape. All up, it took about an hour and a half to make.
Giftee #2 is a two and a half year old boy. He scored his very own cape and bandolier.
The cape was made from this pattern. I didn't read it that carefully, though, so it's a little different at the bottom, and I used velcro instead of magnets (I don't trust magnets with kids - even sewn securely inside capes).
Last up, giftee #3, was a gorgeous 10 month old girl who received some blocks and a squooshy bunny.
The blocks were SUPER EASY to make. I used the tutorial from Zaaberry, which was really well written, and easy to follow. I think these may end up being my 'go to' gift for new babies. With a bell or rattle inside they'd be even better.
This was my second attempt at the Mooshy Belly Bunny. Number one had a rather wonky head, and the seam allowance was bigger than anticipated. So I tried again, with as small seam allowance as possible, being really careful to make a round head, and it looked a lot better. The best thing
was that the fabric was a left over from t-shirt I'd made used to make leggings for Mim, and I think I can get another one out of the remaining fabric. Hooray for upcycling.
After all this sewing, I'm inspired to make more for my own kids for Christmas. I think they each need a cape of their own, a bandolier for Jude, a baby basket for Mim, oven mits & aprons for each of them, and a handbag for Mim. We'll see how much I actually get sewn - only 2 weeks to go!
On the knitting front, I'm putting off finishing the second sock of Devon, but knitting lovely things for my new niece or nephew that will be making an appearance early next year.